Primal Declares a Climate Emergency
Primal was founded to share our love of the great outdoors and educate our clients on the sustainable use of our natural resources. We actively teach our clients how to survive in nature whilst respecting our environment and acting responsibly at all times. We therefore depend on a healthy planet and its wilderness, oceans, wildlife and surrounding communities.
We are now officially within a 10-year window that must be seized immediately to avoid irreversible climate change. The focal point of our industry is the natural environment, and we will therefore confront climate challenges directly.
The first step in our commitment is by signing ‘Tourism Declares a Climate emergency’.
We will take purposeful action to reduce carbon emissions thus contributing towards reducing global levels to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030.
We have committed to the following five actions:
- Develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ within the next 12 months, which sets out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
- Share an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’, and update on progress each year.
- Accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We’ll ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
- Encourage our suppliers and partners to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community
- Advocate for change. We recognise the need for system change across the industry and call for urgent regulatory action to accelerate the transition towards zero carbon air travel.
We appreciate that this is an ambitious commitment which will bring challenges for us and we will strive to accomplish this pledge.